Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review: Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

What it's about: Min and Ed only went out for a month. But two weeks was all it took for Min to fall in love. Min, who loves old movies and uses odd words and gets called artsy by people who don't really know her. Min writes Ed a letter - a very long letter - telling him everything their relationship was to her and why they broke up. Along with the letter, she gives him back everything he ever gave her, from the movie tickets to the cookbook to the box of matches. Why We Broke Up is Min's letter to Ed.

What I thought: The only reason I even read this book is because it was written by Daniel Handler. Who is also Lemony Snicket. The Series of Unfortunate Events books were some of my absolute favorite books as a kid and when I read that he wrote a book for teens I was excited to say the least. And I wasn't disappointed, despite the fact that the story was angsty and horribly high school-ish. But it was beautiful, you guys. Min is wonderful and I want her to be my new best friend. She's funny and clever and brave and dramatic and perfectly flawed. But the writing. Some passages I seriously read like 5 times because it's just worded so dang beautifully.

Oh, and I can't forget the art! Throughout the book are pictures of everything Ed gave Min that she is giving back to him. The art is really pretty and I felt like it fit the tone of the book perfectly.

My feelings? Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment