Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Review: How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr


Okay. I'm going to try really hard to do this book justice. I haven't read a book that honestly made me cry in a very long time, so that should tell you something right there.

Jill's dad died almost a year ago and she's having a really hard time with it. She was never close with her mom the way she always was with her dad. She has his personality, which is sometimes a little too blunt, causing him to always tell her to "try a little tenderness." When her mom decides to move on and adopt a new baby, Jill is furious. She's convinced that her mom is only trying to fill the void left by her dad's death.

Enter Mandy, a pregnant, socially awkward 18 year old. She reads an online post about a widowed lady looking for a baby to adopt, and knows in her heart that this is the person who is meant to adopt her baby. After corresponding with the woman, she's more sure than ever, so when her due date comes a little closer, she hops on a train to Denver. What she finds there with Jill and her mother is something she never expected.

This book rocked me. It was slow starting out, and I almost didn't keep reading but I am so so glad I did. I don't want to spoil it, but there was just something so inspiring about this strange little pregnant girl who has never known what it's like to belong anywhere, or to have someone love her, come into the life of this broken, grieving family and change them. It was beautiful, and it broke my heart, but in a really wonderful way. Read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment